I will be upfront and say that while March was overall an improvement over February I didn’t do as well as I had planned to do. A lot of this was because my overall activity was low, because of a nagging knee problem. I hurt my knee a little bit doing some strength training and so I cut back for awhile due to that. Then, it started hurting on the back of my leg just above the knee. So, I took off a couple of weeks due to that.
On the other hand, I did well eating and lost 3.2 pounds in 4 weeks so I’m happy with that.
March’s goal results
1. Keep this blog up and go to WW meetings. – Met. I kept the blog up and went to all 4 WW meetings. I do want to post to the blog a bit more often so plan to up that a bit in April.
2. Create a calorie deficit per Fitbit of an average of at least 700 calories a day. – Not met. In fact, I wasn’t close with an average deficit of 452 calories per day. That said, this was an improvement over February when I was only at 419 per day. On the good side, I ate a bit less per day over the course of the month (my average was 66 calories a day less than in February). On the other hand, my calories burned was about 36 calories less a day than in February due to the lack of activity. Still, the bottom line is that I lost 3.2 pounds in March and I was happy with that.
3. Eat at least 3 fruits or veggies each day. – Not met. I didn’t do this. I tried to just do this per day rather than having a goal of eat at least 1 fruit or veggie per meal. This often resulted in me not eating enough. So, I’m inclined to go back to the each meal thing.
4. Walk an average of 6500 steps a day. – Not close. I did just barely increase over February – 4629 in March compared to 4553 in February. I started the month strong with several days over 9000 steps. But when my knee and then the back of my leg started hurting I had about 3 weeks where I rarely went over 3000 steps. I do think I’ll be able to do much better this month.
5. When sitting at my computer, get up and move for at least a couple of minutes every hour. – I did this pretty well. I didn’t always do it every hour, but when I didn’t do it in an hour I would move more when I did get up.
6. Sleep an average of 7 hours 15 minutes a day according to Fitbit. – This was not close. In fact, I did much worse than in February with an average of 6 hours, 42 minutes per Fitbit. Basically, I got hammered by the time change. It is only now that I am starting to sleep at all reasonably.
I do think it is important to look at the big picture since March represents the end of the first quarter of the year. The big goal for the year is to get to my goal weight of 146 pounds. At the start of the year, this would have required just over ¾ of a pound a week. I did well on this January and March, but February was slow due to illness. Still, if I can lose at least .8 per week for the rest of the year I can get there. So, I think that goal is still one that remains realistic. Also, one of my main overall goals was to eat less processed foods and do more cooking. While I haven’t been perfect on this, I have made a lot of progress.
April goals? Basically the same as March goals, except I’m changing the fruit/vegetable goal back to eating at least one at each meal.
How are you doing on your goals for this year?